A post office was opened informally at Blodgett Landing in the Forest House, as a courtesy to the guests, in the 1880’s. It was moved to the corner of Post Office and Washington Street and officially established as a US Post Office on June 26, 1893.
The first postmasters were all Blodgett’s (Byron, George, and Elmer), from 1893 to 1915. Alice Wells was appointed postmistress from 1915 to 1955 (an incredible 40 years!). The Blodgett Landing post office was officially discontinued on April 30, 1955. Alice’s daughter, Hazel Wells Hirota, was then the postal clerk for a seasonal Blodgett Landing postal station until about 1976, when the postal station was closed and moved to the main Newbury post office. Here are two postcards bearing the Blodgett Landing postmark; one from 1906 and one from 1975.
The mail arrived by mail boat three time a day at the Blodgett’s main dock. Here is a photo of the “Fortuna” mail boat in 1944.
The original post office boxes are still located in the current post office cottage. The boxes still have the names of many of the notables from the early days of Blodgett Landing including; GW Blodgett, Will Cressy, Spiritualist Church, Casino, Watso Store, Forest House, Shaker Store, Louis Watso, George Taylor, Hattie Raymond, AE Rollins, Edmund Burke, etc.
A great history of the Blodgett’s post office and, in fact, of Blodgett Landing was written by Virginia Wells Hirota Robb, Hazel’s daughter, in 1998. Here are photos of the post office in 1910,1944 and 2014. The cottage was expanded, but looks much the same today.